Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Vintage Perfume Vault Blog is 2 years old... Warning: Not a Perfume Post

image: pigeonhole.com

This is anniversary time for tvpv; it's been two years already and it really seems like only yesterday I was just trying to figure out how to put up a blog, or whatever the correct verbiage is... Anyway, I've learned a ton over the weeks, months and now going on years. Fragrance blogging has changed a lot in the time- when I began it was out of frustration. There were perfume blogs, only just a few compared to now.  And for the most part people weren't talking about the perfumes I cared about, or they were only mentioned in passing. So I just decided to heck with it, I'll do it. Of course, then I discovered a few people had been writing about the history of our scented world, expertly, for some time. And rapidly, many new voices joined in around me. I was a rank beginner and at times I've treated the blog more like an online diary than something created for others to read.

But in the end it's become something for others to read.  There are so many people who know more than I do, or have better/other connections (or libraries). And I suck at establishing those warm effusive relationships that seem to be the hallmark of some other blogs. So why have I stuck around? Because I enjoy it. I continue to love discovering and writing about perfume. And of course, I want to share what I discover with others and hear from them what they know.

I think as blogging and the Internet have changed, I've discovered that there is room for all sorts of blogs. Some aim to educate, some to inform, others to titillate, and some to entertain. Mine is sort of a mash-up depending on my mood and the subject at hand. I don't think you have to stick with entirely one area either. Blogs can be blissfully, nearly rule free. But the blog-o-sphere as a whole continues to change and evolve daily. Some of my old favorite blogs have died down or seem to be in the process of doing so as we speak and so many super-cool new blogs keep popping up.

And as for the Vault? Although I cringe at the naivete of some of my earlier posts and yes, I've made some missteps, I don't plan to stop writing any time soon so keep coming back and we'll grow (older) together. And the world of perfume being what it is, you know we'll always have plenty to talk about.

The Vintage Perfume Vault, where the scent of yesterday's vogue lives.

12 comments:

Angela Cox said...

A very happy blog birthday ,looking forward to another year.

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog-Birthday to youuuuuu ! Always happy to read here !

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! On to many more years to come!

Ines said...

Happy blog birthday! :)
The best thing in blogging (as you mention in your post as well) seems to me the freedom to express yourself as you see fit. And there's no need for cringing, we all grow and learn.
That's why I sort of skip over my early posts. ;)

Amelia said...

Angela Cox: Thanks and here's to many happy returns, mutually:)

Amelia said...

Martina Rosenberg- Thank you; Always happy to have you here, too ;)

Amelia said...

Olfactoriastravels.com: Oh, yes and many of the same for you, too!

queen_cupcake said...

Happy happy Anniversary! I enjoy reading your blog and learning along with you. Also, I love vintage perfumes so I try not to miss a single post here. All the best, Elizabeth

Amelia said...

Ines: Thanks for the wise words and b-day wishes; it's great to hear from you.

Amelia said...

Thanks queen_cupcake! Lovely to hear from you:)

Vinery said...

I enjoy this blog very much, and always look forward to reading your beautiful reviews of not-so-familiar perfumes. Happy blog birthday!

Amelia said...

Thanks for saying so, Vinery!